Friday, January 16, 2015

Calendar Wisdom

Natascha has this Page-A-Day calendar. It was a gift from a co-worker at Christmas. You know, an office party gift. I kind of like having a Page-A-Day around the house even though I never buy them for myself.

This particular calendar is a motivational sayings sort of thing. Not a sappy one or anything, but things like:

"Be fair with others, but keep after them until they're fair with you." - Alan Alda

and 

"You have to keep busy. After all, no dog's ever pissed on a moving car." - Tom Waits

So, you know, applicable and such. But then I saw January 13th, which was,

"Patience. Use the Force. Think." - Obi-Wan Kenobi (Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones).

Hmm.

Well, see, here's the problem. You may not know this but I'm a bit of a Star Wars fan. I've seen the movies. A couple of times. I've read a bit of the secondary literature.

And the truth is that I even enjoy the prequels - in context - but I don't love them in the way that I do the original films. Of course, I couldn't really... I was seven when I saw the original. That leaves a fellow open to connection in a way that later exposure doesn't.

But here's the thing. The originals have semi-non-sensical vocabulary. It's true. Harrison Ford was quick to point out to good old George that he could write this stuff, but people couldn't say it. Still, the originals have framework.  And seriously, you can - and have heard for many years from others because you would not do such a thing- quote lines from those movies in many and varied contexts. There are notions that actually can teach lessons. There are lines that can get you through difficult times. It's kind of rich in that. Particularly given how little dialogue is in the first movie.

I mean, "May the Force Be With You" is sort of a universal reference. But beyond the obvious, "I find your lack of faith disturbing." And "I have a bad feeling about this." There are folks who take seriously the notion of,

"Well, the Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us; it binds the galaxy together."

That can be read in interesting and powerful ways (pre- prequels). 

and, of course, "Try not. Do or Do Not. There is no try" is on t-shirts, posters, and engraved in the heart of every self-doubting geek working on something new. It can be powerful.

And with one exception, there isn't a quotable line in the whole of the prequel trilogy. Not even by geeks. I mean, look at that earlier patience thing. I mean, really... what does that even mean? Patience... okay, I can see that. Then Use the Force. Well, for what? Patience, insight, intuition? How exactly? And then "Think." Huh? Isn't 90% of the message about the Force that users don't focus on the rational approach. It's intuitive. Let go your conscious self... as it were.

So, in context, non-sensical. Out of context, unquotable.

That may be the biggest problem of the prequels. Not a single - okay, one- quotable line. 

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

That's about it.

Which is disappointing. That said, I would contend that Episode III is a great Silent Film. One of these days, I'm going to do an edit which leaves the soundtrack (surprisingly good, actually) but strips out all the dialogue. You get anything out of it that you are likely to get without quite so much wincing.

2 comments:

Murfmensch said...

Work in a scene where Amidala takes a blaster and starts shooting at Vader and the third movie would be much better.

E said...

I believe I may have entered the The Tao of Star Wars